Starting up: are you ready?
Help from the Small Business Administration and SCORE
- Are you ready to start a business? Take this assessment tool to determine if you are ready to start a business. It only takes a few minutes. Download tool
- "Simple Steps to Starting Your Business" This workbook serves as a primer, offering practical information and exercises that will help you know whether starting a small business is right for you. Download PDF
- 20 Questions - before you start your business
- Use this handy checklist to complete the tasks needed to start your business.
Do I need a license to Do Business in Michigan?
- Look up license requirements for businesses
- Restricted Business Names, these names require licensing
Business Entity Search
- Search for records of corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships authorized to transact business in the State of Michigan. To check Name Availability, use the Search Database by Name option.
- The new dynamic website is updated within minutes so Mich-Elf filings can be viewed after the document is filed within 1 hour.
Registering Your Business
- Basic business registration forms for counties in this region
How to obtain your EIN
- What is an EIN? - An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), Tax Identification Number TIN or Tax ID. This is an identifying number that the Government assigns to an entity to identify the business. The EIN is a 9-digit number (for example, 12-3456789) assigned to sole proprietors corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts, and other entities for tax filing and reporting purposes.
- How can I obtain an EIN?
- What are my new business startup costs? - Before you launch a new venture, you should take the time to estimate the total capital that will be needed. Startup costs are divided into two main categories: one-time startup costs and recurring monthly expenses. Find out more
Costs of Doing Business
- What is a BizCosts® Report - Simply put, a BizCosts® Report is the counterpart of a cost-of-living report. A BizCosts® Report measures the comparative cost of doing business for a specific industry or distinct corporate function in a series of different geographic locations. The focus of a BizCosts® Report may be a specific industry or industry group (plastics, aerospace, biotechnology, motor vehicle parts, e.g.) or a particular corporate function (headquarters, R&D, distribution warehousing, I.T., customer service, e.g.). Find out more
Business calculators and spreadsheets you can use to analyze your business
- Cash Flow Worksheet - download your basic business tool here
- Start-Up Costs Calculator - Calculate the start-up costs of your new business before you get going. This free online calculator helps you evaluate how much capital you'll need to start your business.
- Cash Flow Calculator - This cash calculator shows you how business-to-business sales, carrying inventory, and rapid growth can absorb a business's money.
- More calculators from bplans.com