A sole proprietor or co-partnership is required by law to file the business name (if different than the real name of the person) at the county clerk's office where your business is located. Filing the business name allows the public or anyone dealing with the business to find out who owns the business.
However, corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships are required by law to be filed with the State of Michigan. Therefore, corporations should NOT file with the county clerk's office. It’s always a good idea to check with an attorney to be sure you have completed all necessary business registration forms.
Basic business registration forms for counties in this region are listed below.
County Business Registration Forms
- Allegan County Business Registration Form
- Kent County Business Registration Form
- Muskegon County Sole Proprietorship Registration Form
- Muskegon County Partnership Registration Form
- Newaygo County Business Registration Form
- Oceana County Business Registration Form
- Ottawa County Business Registration Form
State of Michigan
- The Michigan Business Taxes Registration Booklet explains who needs to register for what types of state taxes, and how to register. The basic business registration form is on page 7/8.
- To access other state business tax forms go to the Michigan Business Taxes website and click on “Business Tax Information” on the Business list in the lower right-hand corner.
After you’ve registered with the state, you’re ready to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS. There are several ways to apply:
Apply Online – This is the easiest way to apply (and the IRS’s preferred method). Your EIN is issued immediately once you complete the online process. To register online go to the EIN Assistant.
Use The IRS’ Toll-Free Telephone Service - Taxpayers can obtain an EIN immediately by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN, and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone. Note: International applicants must call (267) 941-1099 (Not a toll-free number).
Apply By FAX or Mail – Fill out an application form and fax it to (859) 669-5760
or mail it to:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
To open a copy of the application form click here.
To access other federal business tax forms click here.